Congratulations Ohio Wesleyan University 2008 Graduates!
We celebrate the success of 399 graduates, including:
- 53 cum laude graduates
- 35 magna cum laude graduates
- 26 summa cum laude graduates
- 4 graduates with a perfect 4.0 grade point
Congratulations also to the following faculty members receiving special honors at Commencement:
- Akbar Mahdi, Professor of Sociology-Anthropology, who received The Herbert Welch Meritorious Teaching Award
- Vicki G. DiLillo, Assistant Professor of Psychology, honored with The Sherwood Dodge Shankland Award for the Encouragement of Teachers
Poe Medals went to retiring faculty:
- Alice Kaaren Courtney, Robert Haywood Professor of Modern Foreign Languages
- Robert A. Griffith, Marian Y. Rudd Professor of Music
- Justin R. Kronwetter, Professor of Fine Arts
- Ülle E. Lewes, Professor of English
- Dennis J. Prindle, Professor of English
- Dennis C. Radabaugh, Alumni Professor of Zoology
Additionally, two honorary degrees were given:
- Scott D. Sagan received a Doctor of Laws degree
- Allen C. Steere received a Doctor of Science degree
The following awards were given at the 2008 Baccalaureat Service:
- Kelly Callahan and Amanda Baker received the Bliss and Mildred Wiant Award for leadership in interfaith and intercultural relations
- Amanda Masters received the Chaplain James Leslie Award for leadership in peace and justice
- Shelbie Ely received the Bishop Gerald Ensley Award for leadership in Christian mission
- Caitlin Daily received the Cheryl McGinniss Award for Roman Catholic Leadership
- Amy Tuttle received the Taban Blake Servant Leadership Award
- Matthew Lafferty received the Arthur S. Flemming Award for Leadership in the Civic Arts
- Daniel Montoly received the Robert and Bette Meyer Award for faithful witness to the ethical, spiritual, and missional values of Ohio Wesleyan University as delineated in the University’s Charter and Statement of Aims
- Dr. Barbara Andereck received the Bishop Francis Emner Kearns Award for faithful witness to the ethical, spiritual, and missional values of Ohio Wesleyan University as delineated in the University’s Charter and Statement of Aims
- Benjamin Owen and John Betts received the President’s Commission on Racial and Cultural Diversity 2008 Student Award
- Sally Speer Leber received the President’s Commission on Racial and Cultural Diversity 2008 Faculty/Staff Award
- Elizabeth Griffith received the OWU Humanitarian of the Year 2008 Ohio Campus Compact Charles Ping Award
Streaming video of Commencement is available at stream.owu.edu.
A news release preceding Commencement is available here.
A gallery of selected photos from Commencement is available here.
A transcript of featured speaker, Allen C. Steere, is available here. (26k PDF*)
The 2008 Commencement Program is available here. (1864k PDF*)
The 2008 Academic Honors Insert is available here. (49k PDF*)
The 2008 Senior Class Gift is available here. (29k PDF*)
* Note: You will need the free Adobe Reader software to view/print PDF files. Click the “Get Adobe Reader” icon to begin the download process.